BROVANA® (arformoterol tartrate) is taken with a nebulizer, a device that converts liquid medicine into a fine mist you inhale by breathing through a mouthpiece or mask. A nebulizer (also known as a jet nebulizer or a compressed-air nebulizer) is powered by a small air compressor.
A nebulizer treatment with BROVANA takes about 5 to 10 minutes, twice a day. To learn how to use a nebulizer, follow the illustrated instructions below. If you still have questions, talk with your healthcare provider or respiratory therapist.
How to use a nebulizer
If you haven't used a nebulizer before, you should know that it's a common way to take respiratory medicines that doesn't require inhaling deeply or holding your breath, two things someone with COPD may find hard to do. Learning how to take BROVANA with a nebulizer is simple. Just follow the step-by-step instructions illustrated below.
You should only use BROVANA in a nebulizer (also known as a jet nebulizer or compressed-air nebulizer). Make sure you know how to use your nebulizer before you use it to breathe in your medicine. If you need help, your healthcare provider can show you how.
How should I use BROVANA® (arformoterol tartrate)?
- Read the step-by-step instructions for using BROVANA in the Medication Guide
- Use BROVANA exactly as prescribed. One ready-to-use vial of BROVANA is one dose. The usual dose of BROVANA is 1 ready-to-use vial, twice a day (morning and evening), breathed in through your nebulizer machine. The 2 doses should be about 12 hours apart. Do not use more than 2 ready-to-use vials of BROVANA a day
- Do not swallow or inject BROVANA
- BROVANA is for use with a standard jet nebulizer machine connected to an air compressor. Read the complete instructions in the Medication Guide before starting BROVANA
- Do not mix other medicines with BROVANA in your nebulizer machine
- If you miss a dose of BROVANA, just skip that dose. Take your next dose at your usual time. Do not take 2 doses at one time
- While you are using BROVANA 2 times a day:
- Do not use other medicines that contain a long-acting beta2-agonist (LABA) for any reason
- Do not use your short-acting beta2-agonist medicine on a regular basis (four times a day).
- BROVANA does not relieve sudden symptoms of COPD. Always have a rescue inhaler medicine with you to treat sudden symptoms. If you do not have a rescue inhaler medicine, call your healthcare provider to have one prescribed for you
- Do not stop using BROVANA or other medicines to help control or treat COPD unless told to do so by your healthcare provider because your symptoms might get worse. Your healthcare provider will change your medicines as needed
- Do not use:
- BROVANA more often than prescribed
- More BROVANA than prescribed to you
- BROVANA with other LABA medicines
- Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care right away if:
- Your breathing problems worsen with BROVANA
- You need to use your rescue inhaler medicine more often than usual
- Your rescue inhaler medicine does not work as well for you at relieving COPD symptoms
BROVANA comes in a sealed foil pouch. Do not open the pouch until you are ready to take your medication. After opening the pouch, unused ready-to-use vials should be returned to the pouch for storage. An opened ready-to-use vial should be used right away.
1. Open the foil pouch by tearing on the rough edge along the seam of the pouch. Remove a ready-to-use vial of BROVANA Inhalation Solution.
2. Carefully twist open the top of the ready-to-use vial. Squeeze all the medicine from the vial into the nebulizer cup. Make sure to use it right away.
3. Connect the nebulizer cup to your mouthpiece or face mask.
4. Using the plastic tubing, connect the nebulizer cup to the compressor.
5. Sit in a comfortable, upright position. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth (or put on the face mask) and turn on the compressor.
6. Breathe as calmly, deeply, and evenly as possible until no more mist forms in the nebulizer cup. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each treatment.
7. Clean the nebulizer (see manufacturer's instructions).
How should I store BROVANA® (arformoterol tartrate)?
- Store BROVANA in a refrigerator between 36°F and 46°F (2°C and 8°C) in the protective foil pouch. Protect from light and excessive heat. Do not open a sealed pouch until you are ready to use a dose of BROVANA. After opening the pouch, unused ready-to-use vials should be returned to, and stored in, the pouch. An opened ready-to-use vial should be used right away. BROVANA may be used directly from the refrigerator.
- BROVANA may also be stored at room temperature between 68°F and 77°F (20°C and 25°C) for up to 6 weeks (42 days). If stored at room temperature, discard BROVANA if it is not used after 6 weeks or if past the expiration date, whichever is sooner. Space is provided on the packaging to record room temperature storage times.
- Do not use BROVANA after the expiration date provided on the foil pouch and ready-to-use vial.
- BROVANA should be colorless. Discard BROVANA if it is not colorless.
- Keep BROVANA and all medicines out of the reach of children.
Please click here for Important Safety Information.